Monday, May 30, 2011

Rain

I just checked the weather forecast, and it doesn't look like the rain will let up any time soon.  As beautiful as Oregon can be, I sometimes wish it didn't rain quite so much.  I guess I could just get used to gardening in the rain.  We do almost everything in the rain anyway.  It would be nice to get the grass dry, so I can mow it and have a yard that doesn't look like someone abandoned it to the elements.  I'd also really like to lay down some of the black plastic that I purchased this morning, so that in six weeks I can have a section of my yard that I can plant my lavender.

My poor lavender.  My poor plants.  They've all been relegated to grow in meagerly sized pots.

I don't plan on doing much to my yard this year other than planting the lavender.  This fall I'll be cutting the crab grass and weeds down as far as I can go and laying heavy black plastic over the top and leaving it until next Spring.  I got the idea from a friend, who said it reduced her lawn to nothing but dirt, which is ultimately my goal.  I want to start new, and I'd rather deal with unsightly black plastic for several months than fighting the weeds with Round-Up.  We'll see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment